Thursday, January 25, 2007

The commute, prologue


About 13 months ago I stopped using my scooter to commute to the lab. A flat tire resulted in having to abandon it near the port royal RER station. I only brought it back home after christmas break, by then it was snowing (see photo). By then I had moved to the new apartment, very near many metro and RER lines, walking distance to Bastille, the marché d'Aligre and several nice cafés. The scooter spent more and more time on the sidewalk. In addition it is an old model, running on leaded gas. Having to add the concentrated lead solution to the "green" petrol was not so much fun either, and each time it caused a little pang to that part of me that worries about the polar bears swimming to their death.
So I caved in, bought a carte orange (the monthly metro pass) and began to commute to work by public transport.

No comments: